What is work experience?
- A short term, unpaid placement to gain insight into the world of work, in a chosen industry.
Why do work experience?
- To gain insight, skills, knowledge and experience.
- To become informed about future choices.
- To have an opportunity to make an impression on a potential employer and/or professional referees.
- It may be a requirement before signing up for a SAT – a work trial.
NOTE: Students enrolled in Certificate III Business are required to undertake 80 hours of work placement/experience as a part of their certificate study.
Who can do work experience?
- Year 10, 11 or 12 students.
NOTE: Some industry require students to be 15.
How do I find an employer that will allow me to undertake work experience?
- Through family, friends and acquaintances.
- Show initiative and Approaching companies/employers independently – this displays initiative and employers like young people that show initiative.
- School connections.
When can I do work experience?
- At suitable times to fit with your timetable, e.g. timetabled day off.
- Continuance week/non-class time.
- School holidays.
How do I apply for work experience?
- Complete Work Experience Checklist and return to Transition Officer.
- Once a checklist has been received, a Work Agreement is created for signatures of involved parties.
NOTE: A student cannot undertake work experience until all involved parties have signed the Work Agreement. An unsigned Work Agreement = uninsured student.
For more information about work experience – see Work Experience Policy and Procedure.
For assistance with work experience an appointment can be with the Transition Officer, via the administration desk at each campus.